[Reprinted from Scholar of the House website]
Working from a comprehensive bibliography of books on Islam in English as of 2003 compiled by Patrick S. O'Donnell (Adjunct Instructor, Philosophy Department, Santa Barbara City College, 2003), Dr. Abou El Fadl hand-selected the following recommended books because they met the following three criteria: 1)Dr. Abou El Fadl has read the book; 2) the book exhibits a "high quality of scholarship"; and 3) regardless of whether or not Dr. Abou El Fadl agrees with the views of the particular author, he considers it as "generally useful to read".
The subject categories identified and the placement of a particular book within a subject category are the work of Professor O'Donnell. To compare Dr. Abou El Fadl's picks versus the entire bibliography, go to Comprehensive Bibliography compiled by Professor O'Donnell.
Please note that this bibliography does not include books released in 2004 or beyond.
RECOMMENDED BY DR. ABOU EL FADL:
- General Books on Islam
- Books on the Prophet Muhammad
- Books on The Qur'an
- Books on Shi'i Islam
- Books on Sufism
- Books on Theology and Philosophy
- Books on Islamic Jurisprudence
- Books on History
- Books on Geographic Regions and Nation-States
- Books on Culture, Economics and Politics
- Miscellaneous Books
- Comprehensive Bibliography by Professor O'Donnell
- The WORST Books on Islam - Identified by Dr. Abou El Fadl
- Reference Sources - Recommended by Dr. Abou El Fadl
- English Translations of the Qur'an Recommended by Dr. Abou El Fadl